Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Outlander

"Outlander" (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon
Hardcover: 629 pages
Published: Dell (July 26, 2005)

Description:
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.


This book was amazing!  Totally worth the 5 stars I'm giving it.  It's been a long time since I've read anything like this.  This book has everything...historical facts, romance, time travel, comedy, heart-wrenching events, adventure, you name it.  Normally I read Young Adult fiction, but I think I'm going to read this whole series.  These books are hefty...over 600 pages each, but I would recommend them.  Reading this book was like watching a really good movie over many days.  Like "Gladiator" or "Braveheart" but set in the 18th century.  I really hope they do make this book into a movie, except that it will be hard to cast the main characters.  I've built such images in my head regarding them, that I don't know if anyone can do it justice.  I also loved this book because I have Scottish heritage.  There really isn't a good way of describing this book to depict all that I want to say.  You'll just have to read it and judge for yourself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment