Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Delirium

"Delirium" by Lauren Oliver
Hardcover: 441 pages
Published: HarperTeen (February 1, 2011)

Book Description:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Forgive me, but I just couldn't keep reading this book.  Every time I tried I only got about a chapter done.  I've been trying to read this book since summer, but just haven't had the time.  Now that I have the time, I couldn't read the book.  This book has gotten some pretty good reviews on other sites, but I just didn't like the fact that LOVE has become a disease that is undesirable in the not too distant future.  The whole idea of removing that part of the brain that controls love and other strong emotions is just dumb.  Why make a book on this subject?  It may be a creative idea, but not very likely.  I generally enjoy most post-apocalyptic books, but they are usually dealing with some kind of event and change in the economy, weather, etc.  I only got about a third of the way into the book and stopped reading.  Therefore, I'm not giving this book a rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment